Saturday, July 31, 2010

This is a Blog About The Black Keys

I know this is not about the Jesus & Mary Chain. I know I told you it would be. I'm a fucking liar. Deal with it.

This is about my new loves, my new obsession. Since of Montreal seems to be out frolicking in commercial-ville, not to mention the conspicuous lack of a certain James Husband, I need a new sonic crush. Enter Mr. Dan Auerbach and Mr. Patrick Carney, with soulful (especially for white dudes) lyrics and hilarious music videos, I'm smitten.

Now, I'm a little embarrassed by how long it took me to get on the Black Keys soul train (I randomly picked up Brothers at an indie record store in Philly over July 4th weekend, mostly due to the packaging), but I now consider myself a fan. A blubbering, starry-eyed fan. I'm so much a fan that I spent most of tonight screaming "I LOVE YOU PATRICK!!" at the bespectacled percussionist of this Akron duo, whilst peering over the stage that came up to my nose. The set-list was a beautiful marriage of old and new, with the old being all the songs I didn't know but still enjoyed. Every song was sexy and stirring, and when Dan began Everlasting Light in that perfect falsetto of his, you could practically hear the panties sliding to the floor.

As for the album itself, I love it. Brothers is the first album I've been able to listen to, straight through without skipping a single song, in I don't know how long. The use of actual musical instruments is frankly refreshing, as is the return to the roots of American Rock and Blues. The Black Keys manage to be reminiscent of The Velvet Underground (on the track Howling for You) and good ol' Sly and the Family Stone ( see: Tighten Up) without sounding like rip-offs. The whole album feels older than it is, yet it's completely original - save of course, for the cover of Jerry Butler's Never Gonna Give You Up.

I could be over-hyping it, but I don't think I am. I rarely over-hype. I'm super excited about The Black Keys. So excited I can't sleep.

I know this wasn't about The Jesus & Mary Chain, but you'll get over. You know why? Because you're going to go buy Brothers, and you're going to love it. Then you'll say, "I forgive Claire for lying to me, because this album is so great." I recommend buying the CD, because the packaging is so awesome. The disc goes from black to white when it heats up!

You're welcome.

2 comments:

  1. This is the best video I have ever seen. I want to eat that kid and marry whoever has hair that can be his little mop top. I need this album. I feel lame that oM has been my American comfort music. Why am I so stuck in the past?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so obsessed it hurts. Now we can bond over Black Keys stalking!

    ReplyDelete