Sunday, July 11, 2010

No Song Left Behind, or "How to Keep iTunes From Ruining Your Life"

When I was about 15, I had to listen to Sticky Fingers in its entirety in order to fall asleep. Now, while Brown Sugar and Bitch aren't exactly lullabies, by the time I got to the end of Moonlight Mile (you know, the part with the violins), I was dead asleep. Eventually, I was able to shorten my routine to tracks 7-10, occasionally skipping Sister Morphine (which isn't a true Stones song anyway), and, if I was really tired, I could cut straight to Moonlight Mile and zonk out.

I don't think this precious routine would have ever existed if I had grown up with an iPod. Instead, I would have made sleepytime playlists with soothing songs from various artists, never availing myself of the surprising comforting powers of Dead Flowers. Obviously, this would have been tragic.

Which is why I am pleased to announce my new project: No Song Left Behind. I plan to go through my iTunes and listen to albums in their entirety, giving those neglected tracks a chance to shine. The "pick and choose" iTunes mentality must be destroyed.

I'm starting with The Jesus & Mary Chain's Psychocandy; I bought this album for Just Like Honey and never listened to the other potentially fantastic tracks. They may all suck. We'll see. At least I'll be able to sleep at night.

4 comments:

  1. I always buy full albums and regret it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a risk you run. But I've been happy with the last two albums I've bought. Both Brothers by the Black Keys and Alligator by The National are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog. I couldn't agree with you more. Deep tracks from albums is where you find the true artist. Too often the song you know was touched and retouched by other hands in order to get others to buy it. Plus, when you find that song - its your song, not someone elses'. your personal connection with the artist that no radio or anyone else told you to like.

    Psychocandy is an awesome album, but the non-radio friendly Jesus and Mary Chain songs are an acquired taste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so true. There is no better feeling than suggesting an awesome song that's not on the radio. I'm almost done listening to Psychocandy, and I definitely am getting that these are an acquired taste. I need to finish it though. So I'm not such a liar.

    ReplyDelete