Saturday, October 23, 2010

I didn't need you to reply.


Euphoria: –noun a feeling of happiness, confidence, or well-being sometimes exaggerated in pathological states as mania.

I don't believe there exists a better word to describe the state I was in post my first Flaming Lips show.


Before going into more detail, I'm going to address a few things:

1) I know Wayne Coyne doesn't have a fantastic singing voice, please don't feel compelled to point that out. It doesn't matter, he's a great performer/entertainer/song-writer.

2) My euphoria wasn't drug induced.

3) I know I'm a complete groupie, don't feel compelled to point that out either, kthx.

So, why didn't I write about this immediately after, you ask? Why not write about the greatest show ever immediately after you saw it? Good question, so glad you asked. I wanted to make sure I had time to recover, time to regain my perspective and get out of full-on "stalker/groupie” mode. I gave myself a week… I have come to the same conclusion: THAT WAS THE BEST SHOW I HAVE EVER BEEN TO AND WAYNE COYNE IS THE NICEST MAN IN ROCK MUSIC TODAY. And don't start with "But he was such a dick to Arcade Fire..." I don't care. Sorry Robbie, I don't.

Now, I was already a fan pre-show. But I am positive that anyone, ANYONE, can go to a Flaming Lips show and come out saying, "Wow, that made me a better person". If they don't they obviously abuse puppies...or worse, listen to Arcade Fire. Burn.

Anyway, besides the bubble, the balloons, the confetti, and the lasers, the best part of the show was...the love. Mr. Coyne interacts with his audience on a level I have never seen before. From interactive sing-alongs to rolling over the heads and shaking the hands of audience members, Wayne makes you feel like he genuinely wants to play these songs for you.

After an amazing set-list, I did some stalking...I got my Christmas on Mars EP signed and got my picture. But the man in the bubble didn't just give autographs and pose for pictures, he talked to every fan as if he legitimately wanted to be in that conversation.

Favorite quote of the night; a particularly zealous fan suggested that the Lips play Embryonic, from beginning to end, straight through at their next show. Eh...I like the album and everything, but I can't listen to it straight through...it's... how do you say? Kinda dark and depressing. But anyway, Wayne summed it up brilliantly, "It (Embryonic) is good, but it's like pepperoni pizza, I only want about 5 slices, not 3 pizzas. I don't think enough fans would really enjoy that." THANK YOU SIR. Thank you.

I love the Flaming Lips, The Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi are two of my favorite albums ever. I would love these albums even if Wayne Coyne was a dick, but he’s not, and that’s fantastic. Just getting to ask him questions was enough, but the way he replied made him not just one of my favorite musicians, but one of my favorite people.





No comments:

Post a Comment