Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Oh, Make Me Feel Good Rock 'n' Roll Band; I'm your biggest fan. Or, "Why I'm Worried About False Priest".

I really hate Rolling Stone magazine. Their reviews are predictable, their journalism a little too rabid and knee-jerk, and, if they simply cannot think of a new (usually Top 40) artist to interview, they just do another piece on The Beatles. Now, the only people I know who read Rolling Stone are those who receive it in the mail every month even though they have never ever subscribed to it.

Sean began receiving said publication a few months ago.

Sean: Should I throw it away? I feel bad having it in the house

Me: Nah, as long as you're not paying for it, I would like to see what they're droning on about.

Sean: Why? It will just make you angry.

Me: You know I like being critical.

Now, to be fair, not every single issue is completely awful. Sometimes there are pieces that I can read. I enjoy an occasional quip from Sir Mick Jagger, and sometimes there is a bit about an upcoming album I actually care about... Sometimes. But, I also freak out a little every time I see a band or artist I like featured in that magazine. I feel like being in Rolling Stone might lead somewhere dark and dank. Sure, some make it out alive, but I can't help but worry...

Which is why I'm fretting over of Montreal's False Priest. When Kevin Barnes was semi-interviewed for this piece I couldn't help but feel that Rolling Stone was using oM as some sort of anti-indie justification. Personally, I love the albums Kevin and company have "churned out in his spare bedroom" and never really had any complaints about sound quality. I'm no fidelity Luddite, but I do enjoy some "grittiness" every now and again. I'm all for oM using better equipment, it probably makes their job that much easier, but I don't appreciate RS comparing non-studio recording to laying down tracks "in a sweaty tube sock". Do I really need to mention Exile on Main Street?!?!?!? To tell you the truth, I haven't bought the reissue (though I probably will), but I almost wish they hadn't remastered it. Though the mixing wasn't great I enjoyed the muddy sound that was achieved by recording in a muggy French basement.

ANYWAY, I'm getting off on a tangent. Back to False Priest. I'm worried. I've only heard one song, which you can hear on their facebook page, and I didn't love it. Maybe this is me being a snobby little "purist" brat, but I don't think so...it just sounds too clean. The drums and guitar sound segmented, like they were recorded once and then dubbed into the "appropriate parts" of the song. Am I insane? Maybe. The guitars are fuzzy. But in a self-conscious way... Maybe this is all in my head and False Priest is going to be my favorite album of the year...but Rolling Stone has officially scared the shit out of me.

In other news: this is fucking awesome.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you on the recording. Definitely samples that are simply repeated as needed. Probably because it is tough to record live drums and guitar in a sweaty tube sock.

    ReplyDelete